Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Amy Winehouse: Lioness Hidden Treasures REVIEW.



Amy Winehouse's posthumous release Lioness: Hidden Treasures, dropped today and I immediately imported it into my itunes library. Music to my ears, I deiced to write a little review to the album. Overall it will make you miss the lyrical and vocal genius of Miss Winehouse. 


Peep after the jump for my track by track review.





*A MUST download: Our Day Will Come, Half-Time, Like Smoke and Body and Soul

* Our Day Will Come- Probably one of my faves. It has a nice reggae feel to it and her vocals sound crisper than ever. This is a remake from Ruby & The Romantics classic. 9/10

Between the Sheets- This is transported straight from the 50's Doo-Wop era (So it seems like). It's nice but I feel that it is missing something. 5/10

Tears Dry- I absolutely love this original take of These Tear Dry On Their Own. It is completely different than the one we were first introduced to and it is lovely and creates  a sense of longing. She sounds great. Very emotional. 8/10

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow- I prefer the slower version of this, but there is no denying her remarkable voice in this remake of the Shirelle's timeless song. Beautiful to say the less. 8/10

*Like Smoke- This song is one of Hip-Hop's answer. Nas KILLS IT! I love when Amy would mix the jazz and hip-hop sound it results in amazingness. 9/10

Valarie (68')- Of course nothing can compare to the Mark Ronson version, but this one is still cool. It seems to me that she has recorded a million versions of this. Valarie will always be a classic Amy record. Her vocals are sounding OH SO rich though, very sexy. 8/10

The Girl From Ipanema- This a interesting take on the classic song. I love it! I tap my feet and nod my head whenever I listen to it. This one is a feel good track and you can feel Amy's playful side on this one. 7/10

* Half Time- This song is it!! It reminds me of a Lauryn Hill or Erykah Badu 
track. It has so much Neo-Soul it isn't even funny. I have never heard this side of Amy and I really feel it. Makes me wonder if she might have been going this route with her music. I can't complain!  I am also loving the flute in this one very sexy. 10/10


Wake Up Alone (Original Recording)- First time I heard WUA was on the Back to Black album and the songs venerability takes you there.  You feel Amy's emotions and how she felt so alone.This version is just Amy, a guitar and light percussion.  I prefer the BTB version but this isn't bad. 6/10

Bestfriends, Right- This is a lovely nice jazz number. The lyrics exude Amy's lyrical comedic side. I can relate to this song with some of my close friends and constant fights we go through, but at the end of the day its all LOVE.  8/10

*Body and Soul- This Amy's last recorded song and video. This duet features the legendary Jazz man Tony Benett. For those reasons alone this beautiful song will remain one of Amy's gems. The songs ending is sweet leaving you wanting more. Lovely. 10/10

A Song For You-  The music has a nice vibe to it, but it's hard to hear her vocals. Amy doesn't really shine on this one. I read somewhere this was made post back to black, not one of her best works. 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment