Monday, July 25, 2011

Back to Black.



Back in 2007 I visited my friend Gina in SD for a much needed winter vacation. I remember Gina kept telling me, that I needed to check out this new artist named Amy Winehouse. I am always open to new music and especially if my good friend is saying how BOMB she was.. I had to check her out. "Just Friends", played from her stereo.. and  I was completely blown away. Amy's voice was so soulful and powerful, I felt every word she was saying. Gina then began to show me YouTube videos, and to my surprised she was a little white woman with a big black woman's voice. I also noticed that while she sang LIVE it looked like this voice was coming out of her effortlessly... like she wasn't even trying..! Ever since then I became a fan.

This Saturday we lost a extremely talented woman whose voice had  so much soul, yet she was such a lost soul, which is very unfortunate. Every time I would see Amy in the headlines, I would SMH.. and wish she would get it together, because her music was very special to me and moved me unlike many artist can today. When I would see her look healthier in pictures I would think maybe she is getting it together.. I really was rooting for her.

Addiction isn't something that is easy to conquer, especially if you are famous and have people around you who will do anything you tell them. It was one month ago I was watching the sad video of her last performance. The performance was extremely hard to watch. Amy was mumbling words that couldn't be made out, she couldn't stand straight, and she eventually got booed off. All of this while her band smiled and still played.. my question is why would anyone let her go on stage in that condition in the first place? So sad, and even through her short life she was known as a drug addict, I do believe that in death she will be remembered for her music. To the people who are insensitive and making rude remarks regarding her death, she lost her battle with demons that were tormenting her, which isn't funny or should be mocked at all. If anything you should feel sorry that she couldn't over come her struggles. 

Also within  death, you automatically become a legend, Amy Winehouse will be a SOUL legend and one my favorite albums of all time Back to Black is now #1 on iTunes, and is reentering the Billboard Top 20. Unfortunate to say the least, but maybe now she can be at peace. No one is invincible, it's cliche but say no to drugs.

R.I.P. Amy you were TRULY an amazing talent.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your words. Amy Winehouse left quite an impression on me as well and I will continue to listen her music. Who knows how much more she could have given, but maybe through her death others will be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said Rachel! =)

    ReplyDelete