Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I'm Just Trying to Connect With Something Babe.


I've been told by a few people the past few weeks that I am so closed and unavailable as a person. Guess I am hard to connect to. I don't let everyone into my personal space and shut people (some) out. Yeah, I can see why some say this maybe true.  Part of me feels I already have my close knit circle of friends and family, why do I need more? We have all heard quality over quantity right? Lately though I have been feeling that being so closed off isn't so fulfilling. Life is about exploring more of what the world has to offer, learning new ideas, taking on new tasks and meeting new people/ staying connected with the old. I guess you can say I am always afraid to be out of my comfort zone. I tend to over think... my mind says what if they are judging you, they must want something from you..etc the list goes on. Which holds to the reasons why it maybe hard for me to connect to others.

Comfortableness is key some would say. You don't have to worry about the what ifs or what can happen, because there will be no change... everything will stay the same. I want more and to explore newer opportunities and walks of life. I was browsing the net and while listening to my smooth r&b jams (of course), sipping on some limeade (this is the life) and found this great article. 

Guess point of this blog post is to stop being afraid and to start living and know what you want, knowing your self worth and go for what you deserve! You're amazing... we all are, sometimes we just need to believe and trust in ourselves.  #ThaDotFoodForThought #MuchLove

Via: Positively Present 

Learn new things. 


For me this one is key. The more I learn, the more I read about, the more I know. The more I know, the more likely it is that I will be able to relate to someone on some level. Because I am always interested in learning new things and I love to read, this one is pretty easy for me to want to do. However, if you're not into learning like I am, you can try watching the news and keeping up on current events. If you know about things, you can make more connections. 

Monitor non-verbal cues. 

This one is also really important. Generally I have very closed body language. Folded arms. Crossed legs. Body angled away from the person I am speaking to. I tend to look around a lot when I am talking to others, mostly because I am uncomfortable or distracted by my own thoughts. I don't smile nearly as often as I should. Smiling and using open body language makes you appear much more open so I plan to work on this a lot. 

Listen carefully to others. 

As I mentioned above, I tend to be distracted when it comes to interacting with others. I'm either thinking about what I want to say next or I'm thinking about something else entirely. Either way, this does not help me to be open to others. This keeps me focused on me, inside myself, and stops me from connecting with other people. If I work on listening better, I will be able to connect with others on a deeper level. I may also be surprised by what I hear when I open myself up to the words of others instead of staying trapped in my own little head. 

Ask real questions. 

When you're interacting with someone, it's easy to ask questions like "How was your day?" but it's a lot harder to ask the big questions like "What are your thoughts on religion?" Being open and connecting with others means understanding them on a deeper level. Not only does asking the "real" questions help you to connect with others, but thinking about and sharing your answers helps you to connect with yourself as well. When asked a question in return, be open. Be honest.

Ignore your fear. 

The truth is, I'm pretty terrified of connecting with other people. I'm scared that if I share the real me, they will judge it or dislike it. I'm sure on some level we all feel this way and this fear can really hold us back from being open. If you don't share some of yourself with the world, you won't be truly open. So push that fear aside and don't worry about what others might think or say or do. Be you and you'll be surprised how much people will accept you. 

Find ways to connect. 

Finding ways to connect with others ties in with #1. If you take the time to learn about the world, and about others' views of the world, you'll have more opportunities to connect with others. Don't be afraid to share what you know or bring up unusual topics. You'd be surprised how much you might have in common with someone else. 

Stay in the moment. 

Tying in with listening, staying in the moment means really making an effort, right in that moment, to connect with someone else. Don't think about the things you have to do later. Don't worry about what you didn't get done that day. Be present. It's very difficult to be open when you are thinking about something else. Your mind is closed to a new connection when you are thinking about the past or the future. Be there, in the moment, and you will be much more successful in establishing an open, interesting connection with others. 

Refrain from judging. 

Just as I am frightened by the possibility that others will judge me, so is pretty much everyone else. We are all, on some level, worried about others' opinions. I'm a big believer in the idea of "you get what you give." If you judge others, you will be judged. If you judge others, you are labeling them, putting them in boxes, and, while this is convenient, it often takes away a lot of opportunities. Judging others is not a way to embrace openness so don't do it. Period. 

Be as specific as you can. 

When you're communicating with others, be specific. When someone says to you, "How was your day?" don't respond with, "Fine. Yours?" Be more open than that. Give details. Provide examples. Share stories. People will feel more connected to you (and will probably share some of their own stories) if you open up to them. Don't be afraid of details. They will not be used against you. (Okay, there goes my mind telling my paranoia to back off!)

Take your time.   

Being open with others takes time. When you first begin opening up to people, there will probably be a lot of fumbling and bumbling and trying to figure out what you want to say and how you want to say it. It's not easy for everyone to be open and it may take an entire conversation (or many conversations) to really begin connecting with someone on an open level. Be patient with yourself. Every time you're open with someone, the door opens a little bit more. Every little creak of the hinge is progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment